"A soldier doesn't fight because he hates what is in front of him. A soldier fights because he loves what he left behind." - unknown

"God is our refuge and strength. He will protect us and make us strong" (ps 46:1). For those who will fly today, for those who are there now, and for those who will soon join the fight, Lord, shield them from all evil, strengthen their hearts, and bring them home safely.


Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blue, White, and ... Red?

I guess you could say that the Army is a love/hate relationship - an on-again/off-again love affair, if you will. Let's just say, recently, we have been very, very off. 

Like, deleted-them-from-my-FB,-my-twitter,-and-iPhone-kind-of-off. Not.On.Speaking.Terms.

Off. 

Today was a day of surprises and unexpected's and like any classic, good love story we are back "on" again. This last couple of weeks have taken a lot of faith, a ton of prayers, more patience than I have ever managed, and far more Grace than I am worthy of. Amazingly, things were answered quickly and beyond what we could have asked for and these last forty-eight hours have been filled with gratitude for the plan that has been made clearer. 

There's a catch.

And, goodness, Someone has a sense of humor. Just in case some of you have missed it, C is an infantryman. Cross rifles tattooed on his arm, (soon-to-be) attached to the front of my car, tucked into tiny corners of our home. Why is the sky blue?? 

Because God loves the infantry. 

Pretty sure that's a fact.

We bleed blue. We are one proud infantry family.

Well, folks, consider this girl humbled. Very humbled. My best, CAV friend was cracking up on the phone when she called after seeing my post. And I mean quick, short, snorting breaths while she told us how happy she was for us (when she could finally get the sentence out).

Yes. You read that right. We are joining a CAV battalion ... uh ... squadron. C is taking a CAV company ... err ... troop.  The red, the spurs, the ... um (deep breath) ... stetsons. 

Oh, my.

I think I can, I think I can. 

So, fellow Cav Cuties, be kind to this new girl and remain patient with me while I learn your lingo and am introduced to your traditions. I'm ready to earn my spurs, to 'embrace the cav', to maybe even wear red, because I don't do things half-way. When I'm in, I'm in. 

Completely. 


I'm still gonna laugh the first time C wears a stetson. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who have asked to be updated on Eli - his final test came back negative for 80% of all mutations of CF. With that and his last sweat test, his doctor is comfortable saying he does NOT - does NOT - have Cystic Fibrosis. She is making a phone call for a second opinion/confirmation but we are pretty much in the clear. We SO believe in the power of prayer. Thank you all so much for praying for our little boy!

(And in case it wasn't clear, I like to JOKE about Cav but we are so very excited about what is in our future and about joining this unit. : ) More excited than I can say.)

7 comments:

  1. Wahoooo! Welcome! We are a cav family. Just completed my first spouse spur ride. I'm glad you are embracing it. I believe next year we wil be attached to an infantry unit (and i'll be tripped up on allll the little changes in army "speak" hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca R, Ellerslie, GASeptember 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM

    From one true blue wife to another, I feel you. We are stationed at Benning, Home of the Infantry. Come on the whole base was sky blue right down to the Gen's porch.

    Well until some genius decided we were the maneuver center of excellence relocating the majority of Fort Knox here.

    But with that said we are still true blue, last weekend my family went to the infantry museum, to which upon leaving there was a sign marking the new Armor museum my husband began to snicker announcing so proudly that's right they will always Follow the Infantry. The new museum will be behind the infantry one. OOOH Joy, I wish you luck it should be an adventure. Just remember True blue in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my hero! I love the way you "embrace change" with such flair and grace, but most of with humor in your life.

    I cannot say were were every anything but military with different battalions, units platoons, etc. we have been part of in this career. But, I will tell you I cannot wait to continue reading how well you adjust to your new accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun, exciting news! We are a CAV family now too. My husband joined a CAV troop during this deployment and will be remaining with them after he gets home. It's what we had been hoping for and we are thrilled! His new Stetson (I still laugh about that :) should be on our door step when I get home today, ready to send to him overseas! So I'm right there with ya, learning all this new lingo and I too am ALL IN. My first FRG event with his new troop is next weekend and I can't wait! Ok, sorry for my rambling. I;m excited for you both! And such wonderful news about your son! The power of prayer ia amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that your son's test results look good. I hope that it's all good news from there. Found you through another blog. New follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm, so is CAV like Armoured? I'm gonna guess that it is? My hubby is armoured, the spurs on the officers Dress Uniform boots and all(no cowboy hats though :). We have Squadrons, Troops, Regiments... finally, some American lingo that I understand! Enjoy your change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He put on the stetson ... I tried to hold it in. He laughed at me trying not to laugh. ; )

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thanks for sharing : )