"A soldier doesn't fight because he hates what is in front of him. A soldier fights because he loves what he left behind." - unknown

"God is our refuge and strength. He will protect us and make us strong" (ps 46:1). For those who will fly today, for those who are there now, and for those who will soon join the fight, Lord, shield them from all evil, strengthen their hearts, and bring them home safely.


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Beyond All Boundaries"

It took very little - the images of children among the wreckage - thats when they quietly made their appearance. Silent tears. There was no noise in that barely filled theatre except for the sound of the bombers on the large, rounded screen. Amazingly realistic - the 4D images unbelievable. 


The voices quoting the greatest generation - such a different generation - echoed in the rings of gunfire, cries of pain, sounds of despair. Such a different time. Such a different war. 


No American could help but be moved by this presentation. No American could ignore one of the very few men proudly wearing WWII veteran caps again after seeing this - no American ever should. No human being ever should.


I held my husband's hand throughout - slowly moving my fingertips up and down his forearm for most. Unwilling to be disconnected. Unwilling to let go as long as it continued.


"Beyond All Boundaries" - everyone should see it.


My husband and I have made half-a-dozen trips to the National WWII Museum in New Orleans since we have been together. I was incredibly honored just to watch this film - horribly humbled by what it portrayed. My mind was a jumble of questions - my heart a confusion of emotions. It left me asking, "Am I worthy of this sacrifice?"

I cannot tell you how much I wish I could shake the hand of every WWII veteran still living. I cannot tell you how much it helped me to understand my grandfather. I cannot tell you how much it made me feel guilty for anything I have ever done that disgraces the eternal sacrifice made by so many young, young men in a war I never experienced - that my parents never experienced. I cannot tell you how much it made me want to teach my children to be honorable men. I cannot tell you how grateful it made me for my freedom - for my life - for my ability to worship the God I choose to worship, how I choose to worship. I cannot tell you how even more aware it made me of how different that war was and is from the one my husband fights in. I cannot tell you how blaring the differences between an entire nation behind those who fought then and the divided nation behind those who fight now broke my heart. I cannot tell you how the reality that these men spent years separated from their families made me feel guilty for every complaint I have ever made over a 12-month-deployment. I cannot tell you how tightly I now hug my children after seeing the footage of Japanese children burned by flame-throwers. I cannot tell you how that film changed me.

I cannot tell you ...

Every American adult should see it.

Every. Single. One.




Information on Beyond All Boundaries.

3 comments:

  1. I felt that way when we visited Pearl Harbor while assigned to Tripler AMC. The emotions in the air were palpable. Everyone should take the time to tour Pearl Harbor if given the chance. It was life changing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We toured Pearl Harbor, as well. I was only eleven, but I remember not one word was spoken in there. It was so quiet. Even as a young child, I remember being so incredibly impacted by that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never toured Pearl Harbor but that sound just like how I felt. I can only imagine it would be far more intense to BE there.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Thanks for sharing : )